Saturday, October 5, 2013

2 months in NYC


It’s hard to believe it’s already been two months since I moved to Manhattan – I still feel like I’m living a dream.  It still hasn’t quite set in.  For as long as I can remember I’ve always wanted to live here, even if just for a little while, for the experience of it.  Growing up as a shy girl in a not-on-the-maps town in southern West Virginia, I was always doubted as ever being successful, much less moving to somewhere like NYC alone.  But here I am.  It’s been all of the doubt that’s gotten me here.  Well, that plus a lifetime of hard work and never giving up.  There have been times throughout life that have been so challenging I just wanted to give up on everything, but instead I chose to push through those.  All of those things have made me so much stronger and independent.   I was always reminded that I didn’t have the body to be a dancer, and it’d be hard to make a living in the dance world, but I’m on my way to becoming a dance teacher.  For those that doubted, here I am, I’m LIVING MY DREAMS!  I’ve always been told I was too shy to move away from home, yet I did at 18 and haven’t looked back. 

Along the way I’ve met some of the most amazing people that have supported me and my dreams, no matter how crazy.  I’ve been blessed with the most  amazing dance teachers since the very beginning, 23 years ago, that have taught me so much and guided me along the way, always feeding my dreams and reminding me that I can do anything I set my mind to.  Mr. Lamb, LeAnn, Lindsey, Lisa, Meredith, Gretchen, Donald, and all of the choreographers and fellow dancers I’ve worked with, I can’t thank you enough.  I’ve developed an amazing support system of friends that have given me the confidence and support when the rest of the world seems to doubt me the most – there’s so many to name, I’ll be sure to let you know.  And of course my family - I couldn't do any of this without them.  From the dance lessons, dance shoes, dance costumes, dance competitions, to the support through two higher education degrees, and the moving that has come with each one, I couldn't have done this without them.

Life has also thrown me curve balls that have given me no choice but to be strong.  From losing a close friend in a car accident at age 12, and several family members tragically in the short years following, to being the survivor of sexual assault, I’ve learned to push forward and find the positives out of bad situations.  While some events have taken longer to overcome than others, they have shaped who I am today, and in a way I’m grateful for that. 

Even with school keeping me incredibly busy with the homework, classes, and rehearsal, I love every bit of it!  So from now on, I’m living this dream for ME, and not to prove people wrong.  It’s time to start truly living IN this dream of living in NYC, studying at NYU and ABT, and beginning a career as a dance educator.    It’s time for me to Enjoy Being… (a dance educator).

Until next time…

Enjoy Being…

No comments:

Post a Comment