Sunday, September 15, 2013

NYU - the first 2 weeks


The first two weeks of classes at NYU have come and gone, and we wasted no time getting into the material.  All of the classes are great and have already provided so much valuable information, and have shown great promise for being very beneficial.  One class I started the semester almost dreading has quickly become one of my favorite classes – Environment of Arts Administration.  And obviously I love my ballet class.  It’s very exciting and such an honor to take class from some of these people – Franco de Vita and Raymond Lukens to start with.  The ABT classes will result in a certification of the ABT National Training Curriculum – a great tool for my resume, especially since I want to focus my career on ballet.  After all, that is such a foundation for all other dance techniques. 
I absolutely love my classmates – they are all so talented and smart and it is great to get to learn from them and with them.  Hearing everyone’s stories is really interesting, too.  The professional connections we are already making with one another will be such a benefit in the future. 
This weekend I started another new adventure – assisting with classes in the children’s division at the JKO School at ABT.  We are assisting in classes where the curriculum that we are being trained to teach is being taught – seeing it in action will be so valuable.  It is neat that some of the other teachers are graduates or second-year students in the NYU/ABT program.   It has been interesting to see the difference in the students here versus students I’ve taught in the past.  I could list so many differences but I’m not going to for fear of anyone being offended or feelings being hurt.  I could work at someplace like ABT/JKO forever – it is a dream for everything I’d ever want in a school. 
Washington Square Park

Outside of school, I took a few hours to wander around the city some more.  The adventure was sparked by the need for another leotard and a few ballet skirts, so I headed to the Capezio flagship store.  From there I wandered around Rockefeller Plaza, up and down 5th Ave. a little bit, and ended up walking through Times Square and back home.  From Rockefeller it is about a 30 block walk – not too bad.  One thing spoiling me big time about the city is the closeness of everything.  Within a 10 minute time frame I can go to the bank and get Starbucks and be back home to switch laundry.  If I need a few groceries, it’s a round trip time of about 20-30 minutes, half of which is typically spent in the checkout line.  At West Liberty, it took that just to get to a store, much less make purchases and drive back.  

Anyway – the other neat thing I had the opportunity to see was the Memorial Lights for the World Trade Center on September 11.  The atmosphere around the entire city seemed different that day.  That night I spent a few minutes on my roof reflecting as I took in the lights of the World Trade Center as well as the patriotic red, white, and blue lights of the Empire State Building.
Empire State Building on 9/11/13
WTC memorial lights on 9/11/13




















Well, enough for now as homework is calling my name.  Thanks again for everyone who actually reads this – your support means the world to me!  I love and miss everyone so much!

Until next time…

Enjoy Being…

No comments:

Post a Comment