Sunday, May 25, 2014

Perspective...

Throughout the past year since moving to NYC I've had something on my mind that I could quite put into words - one of the biggest reasons I love it here so much.
So many times you hear the stereotype that New Yorkers are rude and selfish.  Many people may agree with that stereotype, however I've learned otherwise.  New Yorkers are some of the nicest people I've ever met.  Perhaps we share a common frustration of tourists, or share an immense passion for life, but there's something else.  Many people may say that New Yorkers are only out for themselves (the selfish aspect); perhaps, but it's about perspective.  I've discovered another perspective for that idea, one that has left me more confident, inspired, and energized than anywhere else I've ever lived.  
You see, here in NYC, these people's "selfishness" is not that at all.  We use all of our energy to better ourselves instead of bring others around us down.  In WV, it's more common to see people bring other people down to keep themselves on top, but that doesn't do anyone any good.  In NYC, using that energy to better themselves actually makes them better.  For the first time in my entire life, I'm not having to defend myself and I can focus on bettering myself.
This is one of the biggest aspects I'm dreading in moving back to WV.   I wish everyone had the opportunity to experience NYC through this lens, but oh well.  I'll do my best to promote this positive outlook when I return, and if it ever gets past my tolerance level, I'll take my talents to a place where they're appreciated - NYC.  This magical city will ALWAYS be my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment